May is National Bike Month! The perfect time to highlight the many benefits of cycling and to get out and ride with your family, co-workers and friends. Bicycles were introduced in the 19th century, and now they number approximately one billion worldwide. Cycling offers many health benefits, less air pollution, and much reduced traffic congestion—that’s all good news for our bodies, the environment, and our sanity.
What better time to get connected to the ostomy cycling community than #BikeMonth. Whether they’re recreational riders or hard-core racers, these 12 ostomates can be spotted bicycling outdoors!
1. Why should you get out and ride? Because it’s an honor to be alive.
2. To get fast, you have to go where the fast guys are.
3. Cyclists seem to see considerably more of this beautiful world.
4. Cycling isn’t a game, it’s a sport.
5. As the saying goes… it’s like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget!
6. The best rides are when you bite off more than you can chew.
If you're really paying attention, you can tell I have an #ileostomy but I've realized that at races everyone is worrying about their own sh*t and doesn't care. So what if I'm the only one in the elite field?! There's a first for everything! @coloplast @podiumwear @nrbikesmpls @lazersportusa @lazersport @feedbacksports #ostomycycling #ostomyathlete
7. Doesn’t matter “weather” it’s raining or the sun is shining.
8. For cyclists, every day is #BikeToWorkDay.
9. Champions aren’t born, they’re made.
10. Leaving the stresses of daily life behind to spend time in nature.
Blue sky, dry trails. What more could you ask for? Ohh well I surprised myself with a KOM (pr) on one of my uphill segments. Weird but I guess there is something hiding behind all these bad feelings lately. #mtb❤️ #dayslikethis #trails #stravaproveit #strava #garmin #garminfitness #fenix5 #cyclinglife #cyclist #cycling #instabike #cyclingphotos #outdoors #outsideisfree #playground #crohnsfitness #crohnsdisease #crohns #stomi #ostomymtb #ostomyfitness #ostomy #stomi #cykla #thisismygym #älskanaturen #actcyclingteam #maxprestationsportsclub #långloppscupen
11. Which bike do you consider ‘the holy grail’? #SundayFunday
12. Rule #1: Always ride with a helmet.
Feature image courtesy of Nicola Dames, founder of Vanilla Blush.
Pictured: Nicola, Dutch cycling champion Mark Vos, Marc Mahoney, Caroline Bramwell of IronOstomy (all ostomates).