Thank you technological advances of the 21st century, for the saving grace that is our phones.
In the days and weeks after ostomy surgery, your cell phone was probably your best friend (well, that and your sweet, sweet pain killers). Staying at home because your new poop arrangement needs constant attention makes a phone one of the only gateways to the outside world.
The texts ostomates send during recovery highlight the unique challenges, tiresome pitfalls and amazing triumphs of bringing a stoma into the world. Of course, there’s no oneway to feel after ostomy surgery – some people love their experience, feeling empowered and in control after what can be a life-saving procedure. Others hate it and feel cheated, or just stuck in a painful recovery process that’s annoying at the very least. Both feelings are completely valid.
In the name of said topic, here are 17 text messages that only ostomates would send during recovery:
1. An altered state of consciousness, times two.
2. Discovering a new form of torture.
3. Pondering ostomy life and basic time management.
4. This could also be from a long-time ostomate.
5. Even laughter can feel like punishment.
6. How many times do you think ostomy nurses get this text?