May is National Bike Month! The perfect time to highlight the many benefits of cycling and to get out and ride with your family, co-workers and friends. Bicycles were introduced in the 19th century, and now they number approximately one billion worldwide. Cycling offers many health benefits, less air pollution, and much reduced traffic congestion—that's all good news for our bodies, the environment, and our sanity.
What better time to get connected to the ostomy cycling community than #BikeMonth. Whether they're recreational riders or hard-core racers, these 12 ostomates can be spotted bicycling outdoors!
1. Why should you get out and ride? Because it's an honor to be alive.
It's World IBD Day. Ulcerative colitis has changed me. My stoma has saved me. On this day, think of those who look healthy but are living with an invisible disease. Time to honour the day with a bike ride. #nocolonstillrollin
A post shared by Vicki Thomas (@vickitopcrosser) on May 19, 2017 at 5:12am PDT
2. To get fast, you have to go where the fast guys are.
3. Cyclists seem to see considerably more of this beautiful world.
A post shared by Lee-Ann Watanabe (@24cycle) on Apr 28, 2017 at 4:13pm PDT
4. Cycling isn’t a game, it’s a sport.
A post shared by Justin Rogers (@amongourfriends) on Mar 25, 2017 at 12:07pm PDT
5. As the saying goes… it's like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget!
6. The best rides are when you bite off more than you can chew.
7. Doesn’t matter "weather" it’s raining or the sun is shining.
8. For cyclists, every day is #BikeToWorkDay.
9. Champions aren’t born, they’re made.
A post shared by Stuart Armitage (@herbaltage) on May 17, 2017 at 7:24am PDT
10. Leaving the stresses of daily life behind to spend time in nature.
Blue sky, dry trails. What more could you ask for? Ohh well I surprised myself with a KOM (pr) on one of my uphill segments. Weird but I guess there is something hiding behind all these bad feelings lately. #mtb❤️ #dayslikethis #trails #stravaproveit #strava #garmin #garminfitness #fenix5 #cyclinglife #cyclist #cycling #instabike #cyclingphotos #outdoors #outsideisfree #playground #crohnsfitness #crohnsdisease #crohns #stomi #ostomymtb #ostomyfitness #ostomy #stomi #cykla #thisismygym #älskanaturen #actcyclingteam #maxprestationsportsclub #långloppscupen
A post shared by Christian Meijer (@bikingwithostomy) on May 5, 2017 at 11:38am PDT
11. Which bike do you consider 'the holy grail'? #SundayFunday
A post shared by Justin Rogers (@amongourfriends) on May 21, 2017 at 9:49am PDT
12. Rule #1: Always ride with a helmet.
Had a nice ride this morning! Got a new helmet this week! Only the second time I have worn it so far so good! Hoping to not test it's effectiveness. #cycling #triathlete #ironmantraining #morningride #swimbikerun #smithovertake #smithoptics #happy #healthy #stylin #fitness #nocolonstillrollin
A post shared by Rebecca Smolin (@smolin.fitness) on May 9, 2017 at 8:48am PDT
Feature image courtesy of Nicola Dames, founder of Vanilla Blush.
Pictured: Nicola, Dutch cycling champion Mark Vos, Marc Mahoney, Caroline Bramwell of IronOstomy (all ostomates).