Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are collectively known as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). This illness affects millions of people around the world and it can be hugely debilitating, often consuming your daily existence. This is where awareness helps.
It’s critical to let a patient's voice be heard so that others can better understand this complex, unpredictable disease. Here are a few important messages from people on Instagram during Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week.
This is why we need to raise awareness about inflammatory bowel disease...
1. Because patients have the freedom and ability to choose their own version of reality.
2. Because encouraging others to talk about their own problems after seeing yours benefits everyone.
3. Beacuse it's more than just a "toilet disease."
4. Because suffering in silence can lead to deep-rooted shame.
5. Because it can be difficult to carry the burden of IBD.
6. Because it's a tough to stay postitive and not let IBD change who you are.
7. Because it can take time to love and accept yourself.
For the past seven days it was Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week, and that’s good. But raising public awareness is just the start of the process for curing this disease, not the end. Anyone can be an advocate. All you need is the desire to help others and make a difference.